Basic Obedience Bootcamp
Are you having difficulties communicating with your dog? Did you just adopt a dog and need some help getting started? Our Obedience Bootcamp for dogs class is for beginners or experienced dog owners looking to build a strong relationship with their dog and practice obedience in a group setting. In this session the following skills and topics will be covered:
- Recall (come when called)
- Loose leash walking
- Sit, Down, Stay,
- Working through distractions
- How to greet people and dogs
- Learn how to wait going thru doors
- Hand signals … and much more
The training method that will be used in this class is called Marker Training.
What is marker (or clicker) training? In a nutshell, it’s an animal training method based on behavioural psychology that relies on marking desirable behaviour and rewarding it. This black and white method of communication is based on positive reinforcement and will revolutionize the way that you train your dog. This class will teach you about the power of training your dog with food and will focus on building the dog/handler relationship through engagement and motivation. During the class you will learn the basic concepts of luring, leash pressure and shaping of behaviours. We will also cover classical/operant conditioning and discuss how to build motivation in your dog through productive play. Marker training can be used to train any behaviour, from basic obedience and tricks to behavioural modification. There are no prerequisites for this class. It is recommended that you bring treats, a food pouch, leash and a clicker for your dog. The class has a limit of 6-8 dogs. Please call now to reserve your spot.
- Sat. Feb. 17 @ 9:30am – Class date: Feb. 17, 24, Mar. 3, 10, 17
- Tues. Feb. 20 @ 6:15pm – Class dates: Feb. 20, 27, Mar. 6, 13, 20
- Wed. Apr. 4 @ 7:45pm – Class dates: Apr. 4, 11, 18, 25, May 2
- Sat. Apr. 7 @ 9:30am – Class dates: Apr. 7, 14, 21, 28, May 5
Intermediate Obedience Bootcamp
*PREREQUISITE for this class is successful completion of Obedience Unleashed Dog Training Basic Obedience Bootcamp or Puppy classes. Build on the skills learned in the Basic Obedience Bootcamp or Puppy class to achieve the next level of obedience. In this class you will learn to effectively introduce toys as a reward and a motivational factor in training. It allows the dog owners to expand their dog training tool box and master a new way of playing and training with their dogs.
- Sat. Feb. 17 @ 1pm – Class dates: Feb. 17, 24, Mar. 3, 10, 17
- Wed. Feb. 21 @ 6:30pm – Class dates: Feb. 21, 28, Mar. 7, 14, 21
- Sat. Apr. 7 @ 1pm – Class dates: Apr. 7, 14, 21, 28, May 5
Advanced Obedience Bootcamp
*PREREQUISITE for this class is successful completion of Obedience Unleashed Dog Training Basic/Puppy and Intermediate Obedience Bootcamp classes. Build on the skills learned in the Basic and Intermediate Obedience Bootcamp classes to achieve advanced obedience. This is a proofing class that allows the dog to work with and without distractions through different real life scenarios.
- Tues. Feb. 20 @ 7:45pm – Class dates: Feb. 20, 27, Mar. 6, 13, 20
- Tues. Apr. 3 @ 7:45pm – Class dates: Apr. 3, 10, 17, 24, May 1
Location: Obedience Unleashed Training Centre
Price: 5 one-hour classes for $184.99 +GST